Classic EDL Import question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 21:46:06 -0800
From: Dwaine Maggart <dmaggart at earthlink.net>
Subject: Classic EDL Import question

David:

I think I answered your question in person this evening, but for the benefit
of the group, I'll post the following:

 Because the Classic daVinci only has a low density 5.25" floppy disk drive,
there is no way to directly read 8" or 3.5" CMX EDL's. Therefore, the EDL
data must be fed into the Classic via a serial port on the back of the
Classic (which is also used for printing).

The directions for importing a CMX EDL into the Classic daVinci begin on
page 52 of the Classic Colorists manual.These directions are primarily
written with the assumption that you are using an option we used to sell
called a Greco drive. This was an 8" intelligent disk drive, that could read
8" CMX disks, and send the data out a serial port to the Classic daVinci
serial port. We no longer sell this option, as demand for reading 8" disks
diminished in recent years. There is also a section on page 52 regarding
importing a list from a PC. This is simply hooking a PC serial port to the
Classic serial port, and using a communication program like PROCOMM, sending
the ASCII data of the CMX EDL to the Classic serial port, and then the rest
of the process is identical to using the Greco drive.

If you need further info on how the process works, just let me know, and
I'll be happy to provide it.

Regards,

Dwaine Maggart - daVinci Western Regional Support
Voice: 818-902-0488, Fax: 818-902-0918
daVinci LA BBS: 818-902-0937