Re: core:key fit causing occasional problems

>I sometimes load reels of film on one of our Ranks that seem to have
>more play in their cores than others, causing the Rank to 'lurch' a
>bit when play is engaged.  . . .

Sounds very mych like my experience on URSA SN119 at Post Logic. We had
poor wind packing, mysterious breaks under different circumstances and a
general flakey feeling to the transport.

No, I didn't cure it all with a 15 cent diode. Some of the reele servo
problems went away after a power transistor failed in the reel MDA. I blame
some previous intermittant problems on that transistor. The machine had
been modified for the Video Engineering Pin-Up but I could never be sure
that had anything to do with it.

The reel slop on the core to key fit was partially caused by cutting some
soft rubber spacers the diameter of the core and using those under the
dore. It make a tighter fit which dampens the slip of the core relative to
the backplate and also spaces the flange slightly away from the film path.
I think it was about 30% effective and 70% voodo.

Sorry, no easy answer here.

--- David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net  (CIS 72167,1376)
--- Video Engineer, Complete Post, Hollywood