core:key fit causing occasional problems

I sometimes load reels of film on one of our Ranks that seem to have
more play in their cores than others, causing the Rank to 'lurch' a
bit when play is engaged.  This same Rank has had a mysterious history
of breaking film, always in the following scenario: reel is fully rewound
from takeup to supply side, play is pressed, some sort of wild
oscillation occurs, and the film snaps.  Of course we haven't been
able to duplicate this under 'controlled' conditions... which leads me
to believe it might have something to do with core:backplate key fit.

Has anyone also had this problem, and if so, found an appropriate fix?
I've taken to building up the key with sticky tape, maybe epoxy would
serve better....

--Rob