Re: sync sound with undercrank

>. . .Another way
>is use the Evertz (or a Magnatek 9F counter) to generate biphase derived
>code for the Nagra to chase. I have used the Magnatek for solving similar
>problems, and I assume the Evertz will work as well.
>Craig
>Todd-AO

The biphase driven Evertz 4025 will only generate valid timecode at
telecine rates of (nominal) 24 and 30fps. The Evertz timecode is locked to
a video reference and thus can only generate the correct numbers by using
simple divisors on the incomming tach pulse. This is not Evertz bashing -
it is all the product was supposed to do.

On the other hand, an old Gray (non-microprocessor) film code generator has
some modes available (via internal straps) that do not force the timecode
to lock to the video reference and could be used to generate off-frequency
timecode. And even then, the Nagra may not chase sync at speeds very far
from nominal.

We'll all be using digital audio random access workstations next year anyway.

--- David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net  (CIS 72167,1376)
--- Video Engineer, Complete Post, Hollywood

-----