Re: judging color correction

I see what you mean. Sort of like having an Emmy for "Best Processing
by a Film Lab". The question is: How has the Colorist added to the
aesthetic value of this piece? And how could you separate that from,
say, the Art Director's role or perhaps the film just was shot right
to begin with (OK, forget that last one, but there IS some film that
one would just plain have to work hard at to make look bad). Too many
times it just comes down to whether it's a good spot or not, influenced
by other factors (script, music, etc.).

This may be a touchy subject, but I don't think the ITS is in a position
to judge an award like this. The only true judge of what a Colorist adds
are the people in session. To this end, maybe it is the clients (Art
Directors, DPs) who should be making this judgment.

I want to stop short of saying that this award has no merit; I fully
understand and appreciate what the role of the Colorist is, I just
get the feeling that this is not the best way to show that appreciation.

-bt

--- End of forwarded message from "Bill Topazio" <bt at edny.univid.com>

rob at sun.alegria.com     |  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at dagmar.alegria.com  |     KB6CUN       URL:  http://www.alegria.com