RE: Keycode readers

>I like the reader as near to the gate as possible, ie as you have it after
the
>rollers and before the gate. This is standard in Europe. The problem is
that if
>you move it further away, the keycode is updated before the new
scene has
>entered the gate and been scanned. It is then posible to have
code from the new
>scene recorded over the end punch of the last scene, if
little space is left
>between them. This is a particular problem with
selects.

I worked on a FDL 60 for awhile where the reader is mounted next
to the sprocketwheel. There were even more inaccurate readings with the same
reader-equipment then on my present setup.
I also don't like the way the
reader is mounted on ranks because it can get in the way of the tensionarm -
any exessive movement by the tensionarm and there's a good chance for
scratches on the material - not good. Another good reason for the
Aatonreader, since that one doesn't cover the entire film but only the edge
where in fact keycode is present.

>Out of curiosity why did you change
from the Aaton system back to Evertz?

Hmm, it was a tradeoff - the bay I'm
working in now has a newer mark III 4:2:2 with a pogle AND the evertz - I
voted for the nicer picture.. Can't have it all, right?  ;^)

>Kevin

Kay.

-----
The telecine mailing list is run automatically by SmartList
v.3.10.

-----