Re: 30FPS work -Reply

I cant resist this one, but I am sure you all are aware the BTS Telecine
suffers from no restrictions or limitations working in 30 fps, 3 perf, 1:85
PAL. 16:9 or any other of the "CRT destroy mode" formats.
(Ever so slightly biased opinion as I work for BTS.)
Steve Russell

>>> Craig Nichols <craign at earthlink.net> 10/16/95 10:11pm >>>
>>From Remote                   30FPS work

>One more down side is that the scan patch is smaller for 30FPS and
therefore
>CRT grain and all those unsightly URSA lines become more of  an issue.
 Again,
>for effects work, you are likely to be non-realtime  pin registering your
work,
>so that goes away. But watch out for this  if you are doing realtime
transfers
>(even RTS or Jumpfree stuff). -bt

If it is real time 30fps on Ursa, the colorist and clients have a sense of
humor, and the geometry and focus are decent with a flipped patch, then
the material can be transferred upside down using a larger patch. With
the 4:4:4 store or Ursa Gold, the NEWS flip will put things right side up.
Otherwise it can be flipped in edit.
TPG had to do Weird Science this way, or risk having to buy a new tube
monthly (it was 16:9!). Actually Digital Deflection is better at this as it has
adjustable pin cushion so the geometry is very decent with flipped
scans, plus the corners are still in focus.
Craig  Todd-AO