Re: Keycode readers

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Kay Sievert wrote:

> Sometimes clients complain when the punches are off by a frame. To
> avoid that, there seem's to be only one way -
> read the new keycode and put evertz in "jam never". Well, that sure slows you
> down, especially when the client is burning shortends (I hate that!)

Do you use Keylog with your system?  It "does the math" to enter proper in
and out points at kk break points.  If I remember correctly, the 4025
actually "flywheels" for five frames before calculating what should have
been actually read as the first frame at the break, then enters this
number as the new event's in-point in the Keylog event list, updating the
out-point of the previous reel at the same time in the list.  I went
through a lot of testing and file swapping with Alan Lambshead at Evertz
when I first got Keylog and discovered some math discrepencies in the
list entries about a year-and-a-half ago while at VTA.  He was extremely
responsive and fast with fixes at that time.

> Does the location of the readerhead to the gate make a diffence?

Should be mounted on the roller just before the gate, with the reader head
positioned between the spring tension arm and aforementioned roller.
And, of course, your head offsets have to be correctly calculated for
accurate reads.

> One more - since that nice "JAM" button on the
> evertzpanel still doesn't work (when you press it twice it say's "STILL
> DOESN'T WORK" - I hate that too   ;^)

I believe this snide little message from Evertz, which I also found
unamusing after the first time I saw it, is actually a mode indicator -
you have to have everything set up for Jam mode for it to "take" it and
go into jam.  Again, if I remember correctly, this means valid external
code present, film running and locked, then hit Jam.  However, without a
manual in front of me, I may be incorrect or incomplete here.

There are also gpi's in the 4025.  Again, without a manual in front of
me, I don't recall all of the functions available.  One of them may
accomplish what you want to do with disabling the read momentarily.  With
Keylog, the system just works fine, though.  I consider it a "must have"
for KK dailies work with the 4025.

Ralph Edwards

-----