Re: B&W neg transfers

>Don, I usually recommend that clients shoot color film and let me
>provide the B&W in xfer.  The reason I do that is I've had the
>experience that B&W processing is less exact a science than color, and
>I've had processing problems with it...  perhaps some of our
>subscribers who work for or with processing labororatories will know
>more.  There are, of course, differences in the look of B&W stock and
>color stock made into B&W in transfer, but I feel are offset by the
>greater latitude of the color stock (why is it that the color stock
>has the latitude?)...
>
>--Rob

The look of black & white is probably in the grain structure and highlight
response. Looks that would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate in
telecine (now I've done it, I've just challenged the whole telecine list!).

The question from me is "how do I minimize the gain problems in telecine?".
Ken Robinson mentions bad line up and "Be careful of those PEC's!". Could
someone elaborate?

Don Hayashi      dhayashi at netcom.com

--- End of forwarded message from dhayashi at netcom.com (Don Hayashi)

-----