Re: HELP! on monitoring

        Reply to:   RE>HELP! on monitoring

>Mikael, I disagree,  The Sony Monitors I have seen tend to bloom just like
>every one elses monitors at illuminant levels above 32 or so Footlamberts."

David,  is this a technological brickwall, something like phosphors saturating
i.e. can not be excited further?

>Mikael.  You pose an interesting lead in but don't explain why "...this is not
>the case..."  Can I assume you are refering to the Colorimetric differences
>between the SMPTE C phosphors and the standard EBU phosphors?...DC

Yes, precisely this. I did not want to elaborate in order to not become a bore,
I am not shure how many share your and my interest on these matters.

>I could not agree more.  I firmly believe the solution lies in a wider gamut
>display technology with primaries that go back to the original NTSC CIE
>coordinates.......With wide gamut displays we could easily emulate either of
the limited
display gamuts of EBU or SMPTE C

Consensus again David. Ideally we would like to see manufacturer X create a
monitor with large enough colorspace to encompass all other displaysystems while
the phosphors (or whatever used as illuminant) spectrally positioned on the
perimeter of the CIE diagram. Here the primaries would be spectrally pure
(monochromatic). The culprit to our colorimetry issue rests much on the
phosphors beeing spectrally impure thus not only radiating the dominant
wavelength but other colours as well.

>It's about time we started to concentrate on  looking for alternate
>technologies to get our displays as good as the image analysis done by our
>Telecines.

For us involved with research on HDTV (not me personally but the firm I work
for) distribution  I see one (infrastructure of digital
distribution/contribution plus CONTENT beeing the others) of the severely
limiting factors for the natural commercial progression of the format to be the
displaysystem. Recent reports on the evolving plasma displays from (was it
Toshiba or Matsushita?) appear for the first time to be the viable alternative
display system for HDTV . I have not seen this (shame) on demo, has anyone done
so and do you care to comment?

>It is possible to use MR-16 Halogen spots for lighting in TK rooms if you
>insert Dichroic Glass filters in the fixtures to trim the color temperture to
>something approaching 6500#188# K.

I have a buddy that is really pro french cars, he also insists on using the
yellow tinted H4 halogen bulbs in his headlights. He says " they are great
because you do not get as dazzled by them, the yellow is better for your eyes"
My theory is that if you put a filter infront of a lightsource you will reduce
the amount of light. At least that is how my camera behaves when I use filters.

The thing about Illuminant D65 is that it was picked out of daylight on partly
clouded day. As such it has a very particular spectral footprint. It so happens
that the only thing produced by man that gets remotely close to this spectral
footprint is this flourescent tube. Not that I think it matters a whole lot for
realworld purposes, but I will gamble to claim that the spectral footprint  out
of filtered halogens is no good match to the tubes.

The important thing in my mind is to establish your house standard and then
stick with it for as long as it is possible. This statement could be said to
contradict Mr. Montgomery's problems with varying colortemps but what I mean is
that it is better to have your own reference that you can rely on than something
undefined because there is no worldwide reference to begin with. In Mr.
Montgomery's case who has the right reference and who has the wrong one? What is
a Meter? Without the reference rod locked in a vault in somewhere in France we
wouldn't know.

All is relative.

Mike Reichel 100316,1467 at compuserve.com

-----
If you would prefer to receive this mailing list as a digest every
three days, send a message to "telecine-digest-request at xyzoom.alegria.com"
with the Subject: subscribe.