Re: HELP! on monitoring

        Reply to:   RE>HELP! on monitoring

Mikael Reichel wrote--->
-------deletia------>>>>
>it may be that Barcos are just not any different from other >manufacturesr of
Grade 1 monitors because they all use the same >(Matsushita?) CRT supplier.
The only exception beeing Sony of course. >Sony ARE brighter because the
fundamental design gets away with a >beam reducing mask. I think these
non-Sony monitors are simply set to >not be too bright as to provide a better
detail response.  PERCEIVED >resolution is a factor ruled by intensity as
well, so that ups another one >for Sony.

Mikael, I disagree,  The Sony Monitors I have seen tend to bloom just like
every one elses monitors at illuminant levels above 32 or so Footlamberts.
The very fine pitch aperture grill of the higher res trinitrons are the
culprit.  Even though theoretically the trinitron is more efficient relative
to beam versus brightness versus spot focus the actual results are similar
between the high res precision in line CRT's from Matsushita and the fine
pitch trinitron CRT.  The Matsushita CRT's are easier to set up for purity and
have very good spot focus due to their focusing elements design.

>Now here is a question, if Sony provides higher levels of brightness (for >a
given resolution) does this not imply that the luminous "dynamic" range >is
greater as well? If so would this not be an important consideration in
>telecine domain?

See my answer above..DC

M Reichel wrote more--->>>

>Back on track, the discussion is on the choice and performance of the
>telecine suite reference monitor. Based on this you have a choice of
>deciding to try to attain a local "house reference" or something more
>complex, a " global reference". SMPTE and EBU are great to hold on to as
>wise men have put some hard thinking into the recomendations.They may >lead
to the impression that if you set your monitors to recomendend >brightness and
colour temperature, you now have a uniform level on >which to argue the world
with. This is not the case.

Mikael.  You pose an interesting lead in but don't explain why "...this is not
the case..."  Can I assume you are refering to the Colorimetric differences
between the SMPTE C phosphors and the standard EBU phosphors?...DC

More M Reichel excerpts--->>>
>SMPTE versus EBU phosphors. The only practical thing these two have in
>common is the setting of the color temperature reference.
>Illuminant D65 ........(deletia).......... the non-confoming areas between
the
>colour spaces are inaccessible.

I could not agree more.  I firmly believe the solution lies in a wider gamut
display technology with primaries that go back to the original NTSC CIE
coordinates.  The color space of original NTSC far exceeds anything either EBU
or SMPTE C phosphors can reproduce and includes all those "Technicolor" colors
we all lust for but can't achieve in either display standard such as
Turquoise, Emerald Green, Ruby Red, True Yellow, and really accurate Flesh
Tones.  With wide gamut displays we could easily emulate either of the limited
display gamuts of EBU or SMPTE C.  Presently the Hughes/JVC light valves and
Modified Projection CRT displays are capable of this but not practical direct
view CRT's.  Display Technology is still the weakest link in our industry.
It's about time we started to concentrate on  looking for alternate
technologies to get our displays as good as the image analysis done by our
Telecines.

More excerpts--->>>
>Many of the TKgrading  rooms I have visited ...are equipped  with >worklights
using fluorescent tubes producing illuminant D65 light. Any >other light
source present, be it halogen or incandescent light ... will >throw that
carefully set reference out of balance.

Mikael,
It is possible to use MR-16 Halogen spots for lighting in TK rooms if you
insert Dichroic Glass filters in the fixtures to trim the color temperture to
something approaching 6500#188# K.  These are available in the US from Photon
Technologies in Texas ( Michael Brown, (214) 722-2522).  We use them in our
rooms for the client tables and general room lighting and we use a D6500
dimmable flourescent fixture with spill controlling "Barn Doors" for the
reference light behind the monitor on a neutral gray fabric covered surface.
Got to go.  More emergencies...
Dave Corbitt

-----
If you would prefer to receive this mailing list as a digest every
three days, send a message to "telecine-digest-request at xyzoom.alegria.com"
with the Subject: subscribe.