monitors

                                                                    10:35
  OFFICE MEMO                                                 Time:
                      Subject:
                      monitors                                      09-18-95

Well, we are still milking the last phospher dot out of our Asaca
(Shiba-Soku) delta-gun monitors. This was, until recently, the NY
"standard" monitor; well almost. It was used by Editel, Tapehouse,
ManTran, Prinzco, Empire to name a few (apologies if made an error
in this list). Many have gone to newer monitors by now.

The practicalities of switching monitors can be costly- you don't
really want to change one room without changing ALL rooms, unless
the room is isolated enough to get away with a different monitor.

For example, I have SONY 1910/1911 in our RealTime and HENRY rooms,
but all of our editing and telecine rooms still have the Asacas.

Within a year, I expect these to change to new digital monitors.
It's getting too damn hard to find good delta gun CRTs and besides,
it's just time to go to the next generation... finally.

We have 4 excellent colorists who are intimate with every nuance
these delta-gun CRTs have, so they will certainly have some re-
learning to do when we switch.

I also have a Panasonic 1905D monitor in my Flame suite. In some
ways, I like this better than the 1910. I think it may have to do
with the in-line shadow mask vs. the Trinitron stripes. I think it
provides a more pleasing overall look, a little more delta gun-ish
perhaps. Can't really quantify this.

As for the support wires for Trinitrons, I find them only to be a
problem when the scan line density allows them to be seen. In other
words, it shows up more on smaller screens and hi-res computer dis-
plays. At 20" and NTSc, the scanline spacing is more noticible, so
you are rarely bothered by the support wires. (But it's still a new
discovery for some clients, and we have to go through "the routine"
to calm everybody down again.)

-bt