FWD>HELP! on monitoring/fro

Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>HELP! on monitoring/from DC

Welcome Raul,
I have what some may consider a divergent point of view but my opinions on
monitors are hard won ones based on many tests and research over the years.

1.  We use Panasonic At-H1905D Monitors here at Manhattan Transfer and are
very pleased with the performance.  We used to have old Asaca ShibaSoku's but
the models we had are now so old they are not really part of the contention.
The newer Asaca's are an improvement over the older models. We also had and
still have some Sony 1910 and 1911 series monitors.

2.  We have had to dispel some disinformation campaigns spread about the
Panasonics that are untrue.  The CRT measures within 1/4" in viewable diagonal
measurement to the Sony Trinitron used in the 19xx monitors.  Panasonic,
Asaca, and Barco all use the same make and model CRT in their monitors.
Panasonic uses an escutcheon with ultra rectangular borders to hide the
slightly rounded corners of the CRT so it appears to be smaller than the Asaca
and Barco displays but the ultra rectangular escutcheon makes the screen
conform to the common shape of most current consumer sets and the Sony
Trinitron screen.

3.  Phosphors of all the "A" grade monitors (Barco, Panasonic, Asaca, and
Sony. Maybe Ikegami also.  Did I leave anyone out?) are all SMPTE C type (at
least here in the USA) so colorimetry and saturation should be essentially the
same on all these monitors if they are all set up carefully.

4.  The area we found the Panasonic to outperform all the others we tested was
the signal handling circuitry and the resulting picture. Panasonic uses a very
advanced 5 line Digital Decoder for both Pal and NTSC.  The decoder has 9
adaptive levels of filtering to virtually remove encoding artifacts.  The last
time I looked, Sony was still using a 3 line Analog Decoder and the results
are not nearly as good.  Barco also does not have a comb filter as advanced as
Panasonic.  Asaca still hasn't shown us the long promised digital decoder.
The digital decoder samples incoming composite video at 8 times subcarrier.
The same board also decodes D-1 serial and parallel. The monitor comes
STANDARD with all the features you could dream of having (Analog NTSC and PAL,
both Serial and parallel D-1 and D-2,  16:9 Serial and Parallel Digital
Component,  built in digital test signals (Grid, Flat Field).

5.  It also comes with an Auto Set Up Probe (at extra cost) that actually
works, at least for calibrating grey scale tracking.  The Auto Probe on some
other monitors sometimes gives unreliable results due to all the analog
processing at the front end of those monitors.  Many engineers have resorted
to using Phillips or Minolta CRT calibration gear to set up their monitors
even though the monitors come with Auto Set Up Probes. We haven't found this
to be necessary with the Panasonics except for setting Contrast and
Brightness.  The gray scale tracking is easily recalibrated  with the probe
and holds for a long time before needing to be reset.  We have not had as
stable results with the Sonys.  The Sonys tend to drift and need frequent
touch up to keep them calibrated.

6.  We set White Screen for 6500 degrees Kelvin at 30 FootLamberts.  A circle
wipe around 4" in diameter (about 10 cm) with white of 100 IRE (NTSC) or 1.0v
(PAL) inside and black outside is our reference signal for this.  For setting
Brightness we change the inside of the wipe signal to 30 IRE (NTSC) or 0.24v
(PAL) and aim for 0.9 FootLamberts.  These figures keep us within Joe Kane's
guidelines for good full field Pluge display and minimal blooming on
highlights on anybody's monitor we have tested so far.

7.  I have a question--Why would the Barco monitors show a reduced saturation
signal?  What is the Footlambert value of your 100% White?  What kind of
phosphors is Barco using on that model?  I have seen some Barcos in the past
that had a fairly dim display of around 18-20 footlamberts for peak white but
I don't recall seeing a saturation difference from other monitors, just a dim
display.  I believe they could be set to 30 FootLamberts like everyone elses.
Dave Corbitt

Raul wrote--->