Re: CLRVIEW

>                      Subject:                              Time:  11:40 AM
>  OFFICE MEMO         CLRVIEW                               Date:  9/11/95
>
>Could some one please explain to me exactly what Clearview is all about
>(option available for Dave Walker's Digital Deflection Kit)?  Is it more than
>just changing electrical focus to reduce interfield flicker artifacts?  I'd
>like to know if it's something we should consider adding to the bag of tricks
>here.  Thanks.
>Dave Corbitt

Clearview, as explained to me in simplest terms by Dave Walker, is an add on
for Digital Deflection that prevents aliasing from happening in the first
place.
It does nothing with electrical focus.  Dave mentions that he would not sell
a great sharp Digial Deflection System and then make it soft with add on
processing. I've seen a demo of Clearview, and saw no degrading of the image.
I did see that diagonal lines lost the "jaggies", and that moire was eliminated.
They used the system recently at Advanced Digital Systems on the transfer of
Apollo 13, and the clients loved it.
I was not able to get Dave to tell me exactly how it works (given his past
experiences I can't blame him).  I do know that there is a framestore within
Clearview that allows you to flip the image, and do other things.  So, you can
flip the scans and flip the store like Ursa Gold, and end up with an image
that's right side up. This can make tubes last longer because you can flip
the scans for jobs that would normally have a small patch.  One advantage
you have with Clearview over Ursa Gold is that aliasing is not a problem
with Clearview, but still can be with Ursa. Further down the road is
"Scatter Scan"
which is somewhat like Jumpscan revisited.  It allows a smaller patch of 20
lines or so to use different parts of the tube so that phosphour burn can be
less of a problem.
I don't work for Dave, I just admire his products.  I had the pleasure of
working with him briefly at AME, and appreciated the things he taught me.

Craig Nichols
Telecine Engineer