our list, telecine characters, and Perc.

The 201st subscriber signed up for the mailing list today.

Over the years, I've assembled a cast of telecine characters for which
I thought I'd ask colorists' input.  I hear about these guys all the
time:

Les Green
Little Richard
Seymour Detail
General Warmth
Major Shift

...are there any other session characters you hear about all the time?

To the new subscribers: we really are a professional group; just take
a look at the whois file.

A reminder to those who haven't yet looked: Dave Tosh's Material
Safety Data Sheet reference page regarding film cleaning solvents is
at "http://www.alegria.com/telecine/MSDS-INDEX.HTML".  It's quite an
eye-opener.

The 'Web is outstanding for just this purpose: the collection and
presentation of related reference material.  Dave tells me he's
working on further refinements to the information.

I would consider having these safety data sheets available via the
mailing list archive server, if anyone is interested, who doesn't have
access to the web; it appears, Dave, that the MSDS collection on the
Utah server is not copyrighted?  I know the Fisher Co. pages are.

In the meantime, here's some information that might be of interest to
some.  The numbers speak for themselves... either our profession is
about to become extremely hazardous to our health, or we're going to
need to build robots to handle the film cleaning.  It's ironic that
though we reduce the potential damage to the ozone layer (which I
applaud), we increase the immediate danger to ourselves.

Here's the old stuff:

1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE  according to the BAKER SAF-T-DATA(TM) SYSTEM is
rated as follows:

	              HEALTH        -  1  SLIGHT
                      FLAMMABILITY  -  1  SLIGHT
                      REACTIVITY    -  1  SLIGHT
                      CONTACT       -  2  MODERATE
HAZARD RATINGS ARE 0 TO 4 (0 = NO HAZARD; 4 = EXTREME HAZARD).

Here's the stuff being touted as the solution:

TETRACHLOROETHYLENE ("Perc") according to the BAKER SAF-T-DATA(TM) SYSTEM is
rated as follows:

                      HEALTH        -  3  SEVERE (CANCER CAUSING)
                      FLAMMABILITY  -  0  NONE
                      REACTIVITY    -  0  NONE
                      CONTACT       -  3  SEVERE (LIFE)
HAZARD RATINGS ARE 0 TO 4 (0 = NO HAZARD; 4 = EXTREME HAZARD).

   http://www.alegria.com