Re: Open GL

 Reply to:     RE>Open GL
Bob (et al)-
Sounds like a viable blueprint for the future of colorism, but here
are a couple of things to think about-

First, the kind of pix processing you describe will require a hefty
computer. The nature of the work implies realtime performance and
the processes you describe are somewhat CPU intensive. Thus, the
Indy class machines are not suitable- think about souped up Indigos
or deskside Onyxes (Onyces?) as alternatives.

That's not to say the control front-end of the Artisan can't be used
to interface to a processing engine that can do the textures, etc.
much the way it currently interfaces to the processing engine of
Renaissance, it's just beyond the scope of what it can currently
handle.

Also, your tossing it back toward DaVinci may be appropriate, given
the recent developments of AtLightSpeed in the Indigo souping-up
areas. A marriage of that technology along with the Artisan may
prove viable. (For those who don't know, AtLightSpeed is a company
formed by ex-DaVinci folk and they make DSP accelerators for the
Indigo expressly for implementing picture processing algorithms.)

Second, where does it end? If we are truly moving forward, then
the whole idea of a "telecine" session becomes questionable-
I assume we will all be "data scanning" in the next few years.
In that case, I guess we'll be seeing mor integrated packages
a la Flame, Advance and Cineon doing more of this work. Those
packages already support many of the features you describe,
but the whole "colorist" process will be turned on its ear.

In other words, I think the philosophy deserves more attention
now than the technology. (If that's not a loaded line, what is!)

-bt