open gl

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:42 a=

  OFFICE MEMO         open gl                               Date:  15/8/9=
5
All,

Seems pretty quiet around here lately so I'll be the first human sacrific=
to the flame gods this week.

Anyone have any experience with Open GL, the 3D based graphics library th=
at
allows for texture mapping, blending, anti-aliasing, and other effects th=
at
could conceivably be used in your next color session???

It is my current understanding that the daVinci Artisan system will be ba=
sed
in part on Open GL architecture.

Is it not inconceivable that many of these Open Gl function calls can be
used to create the textural and artistic tools the colorist of tommorow w=
ill
use. Instead of using a channel of K-scope in Telecine what if calls were=

made to an Open Gl library function for an amount of glfog color density
wash??? How about lighting and texture overlays to be used in your next r=
ock
and roll session??? All of these bits of power would be in the core set o=
your SGI Indy box for your use or customization. Those of us who are Unix=

friendly can customize these bits of programming to be optimized for a gi=
ven
work environment.

I'll hand this over to my pals at daVinci...am I way off base?=20

And if not, whats the corporate policy for third party developers who mig=
ht
be interested in marketing the blocks of code for this proposed animal.

Always thinking...

Bob
I think people are confused at what the present daVinci Artisan is!!!
At present it is an automation system.
Control of images / graphics etc is not really viable on an Indy base mod=
el platform.
To do this effectively requires something like an Indigo maximum impact w=
ith Video i/o.
We are talking about a much different product from the existing Artisan.
Artisan is a good controller which makes sense.
I am sure that as time goes on it will grow into a far more powerful syst=
em.
Paul Grace - Rushes