Re: Stretching the imagination

Jeff Heusser (jeff at editelchi.com):
>I agree with all three of your wishes, with some modifications...
>
>1) ...Essential to this is a large-capacity digital storage device capable of
>serving these images to any user on a high-speed network. A sophisticated
>database needs to support this "server" throughout the process.

>2) a software tool to allow this data to be tagged with color correction
>and positional information, at any point in the process ...>

Jeff,
        Thanks for some valuable extensions to Marc's wishes. You managed
to voice some appreciation for solutions needed for problems that we have
today and I don't think are getting enough attention. It seems that it is
easier to intorduce an new tape format than to have a discussion about
documentation of the transfer process in which we are engaged. Maybe some
people think that this is art and should not be examined too closely. Let's
start with discussion and recommendations for source logging (Keykode,
etc.) and how reels are identified as objects known to a color correction
list.
        One of the most exciting technology shifts we are facing (reel soon
now with pun intended) is the video server as the heart of a post
production system. You may see a great change in the job descriptions at
that point:
        Scanist: get it off the film an into the pool with documentation.
        Colorist: (maybe we can guess this one)
        Spatial Formatting: OK, pan and scan raised to the 3rd power.
        Data rate compression: Don't let the software decide which 87% gets
                thrown out!
All of these tasks may be working in a pipelined or iterative fashion.

--- David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net  (CIS 72167,1376)
--- Video Engineer, Complete Post, Hollywood