I think I got it now

Gentlemen.

You must all be truly in love with Ranks, how else could you abuse its origin
with such tenderness?

2. DV's colour corrector both has high/lowlight compression according to what
you mention as chroma light & dark. In addition our primary has an adjustable
high and lowlight knee point allowing you to gently roll off the top (or
bottom). In addition it allows you to do a soft - linear transition fully or
partially desaturating. Soft and feathery clouds is like walk in the park. A
fully digital walk of course.

Clipping in digital domain is baaad.

3. Sure I would like to have 12 bits too!

Mike at Digital Vision