Re: psychology of correction

On Jul 8,  1:39, JKreines at aol.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: psychology of correction

> But then again, music recording people and musicians often get weird
> instructions.  Bass player Will Lee was once asked (maybe they confused him
> with Rob??) to "play it more orange."

I tend to enjoy more working with clients who speak in general,
production-oriented ways; I much prefer a DP who says "can you give it
more snap" to one who says "where are the gammas?".  There is a
director/DP here in LA, a fairly young one (but famous now) out of Art
Center, who asks me the gamma question on nearly every scene.  When I
first heard it, I almost laughed and started to explain why it's not
necessarily measurable in real-world images, but I caught myself (in
the spirit I spoke of in my previous post) and said "they're at 47.5"
(trying to hide the sarcasm in my voice).  Well, that's all it took,
he asked me to bring them down "a few units" and then we would play
that same game with each scene, me making up a number and he telling
me what to do with it.  I tried to be as inventive as possible with my
number output, and glance at the scopes from time to time.  The point
is, I played this game while, on another level, I just went ahead and
corrected it as I thought it should be, at times making allowances for
an inevitable "gamma adjustment".  In this case I have no rapport with
the client, and there is no hope of bringing an interesting,
collaborative, creative approach to the color correction.

But if they say "give it more edge" I relish the opportunity to spin
the knobs the way I see fit, while I wait for the chorus of supportive
grunts from the rear.

--Rob

   http://www.alegria.com