gang sync analogy sought

I was trying to explain the concept of TLC's "gang sync" to a new
assistant today and couldn't come up with anything lucid.  The best I
could do was something like "well, see there's this train track (the
film), paralleling this road (the videotape).  The railroad ties are
the film sprocket holes and the road's centerline "dashes" are the tape's
timecode, so there is a constant and locked relationship between the
two.  When I brought the car and the locomotive into it, things
started breaking down, and then we wondered what would happen if a
bullet were fired from the train at the car --which would be more of a
gang war, not a gang sync...

   http://www.alegria.com