Re: Green TAF

Craig  Nichols wrote;

<<<< Do you  colorists out there find this still to be true (or was it ever
true)?>>>>

I have found it to always be true and expectedly so. TAF is, as it says,
and ANALYSIS film. It can tell you how the telecine is making pictures,
answer general saturation and density concerns, possibly even identify a
bad pec. What it does not do is give a colorist any reference to the real
world, because,
as I've always understood it, the TAF itself is a non real world product.
It is produced over time giving multiple and separate exposures to a given
frame of film. This bears no relation to how DP's work in the field. As I
understand it, the working ASA for TAF is based purely on Kodak specs- i.e.
rate the film what the canister says. This also has nothing to do with the
way DP's shoot. DP's usually seem to overexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop. (with
most stocks) (if you're lucky). As a colorist, I have found this to be
desireable for telecine transfer.  Tonal separation, dynamic range, and
saturation all seem to benefit from a "thicker" neg. There seems to be no
direct correlation between ire and f-stops as well. How many times have you
been asked "How's the exposure, are we over about a stop?". I think most
colorists can answer this question by looking, and most colorists are
probably pretty close with their guesses, but what's the definitive word?
I've seen the new TAF films, and I think they suffer from most of the same
problems they did before, just not as much of the same problems. It's like
they turned the knob down from 11 to 9. Since I've never seen two telecines
set up exactly the same, even at the same house, I doubt that Kodak will
ever be able to answer this question, and that colorists everywhere will
just have to remain the keepers of the guard. What a shame to let people
who actually work with telecine transfer everyday decide what the film
should look like. I can't wait until they figure out that autocolor
telecine, and the autocolor scan. :-> (OK, gratuitous dig at very large
film manufacturer-- shoot me).

Have fun out there,

Craig

Craig Leffel