Re: Keykode Verification Films

>Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 12:21:47 -0400
>From: Donna358 at AOL.COM
>To: telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com
>Subject: Re: Keykode Verification Films

> I tested the Keycode test verification film at Post Logic some time >ago. I
would have preferred a neutral colored backing which could >change tint for
each set of test frames, rather than the clear >backing.  The only reason we
did not buy the film is the >price..$500-600 we consider excessive. D.C.

Donna,

Would like to get more info on what you saw as clear backgrounds in the
Keykode verification film.  Each of the five sequences has a different
colored background designed for easy recognition in high-speed shuttle mode.
 The colors are intentionally light to maintain good contrast with the text
and changing shapes, but set up to TAF or normal film transfer, the
background color changes should be quite obvious.

I wonder if you saw an early trade-test prototype in which we tried to
simulate negative film on print stock.  Not a good idea.  The high contrast
and background density kicked the image into the clipper.

All films for release are made on Eastman EXR negative film.  The 35mm test
film is priced at $500, and runs 400 feet.  Raw stock is a significant part
of the cost.

Your concern for cost may very well be shared by others.  Not to make
excuses, the main expense was the research and development time spent
figuring out the best way to image the latent key numbers in the picture and
preserve the original Keykode numbers through successive generations.
Maintaining the integrity of the changing shapes across each section to test
the accuracy of video transfer and editing systems was also a tricky affair.
 It took more than a year of design and laboratory work to produce this film
which provides verification for eight different transfer, recording and
editing functions.

To be candid -- regardless of how many verification films are ultimately
sold, it is unlikely that Kodak will come close to recouping the expenses
entailed. The films are being produced to serve the needs of the
post-production industry to accurately correlate Keykode numbers with time
codes throughout film and video post.

Don Ver Ploeg
Consultant to Kodak MP&TV Imaging
verploeg at eznet.net