Re: A SCENARIA FOR VIDEO

I am delighted that the folks at the Sarnoff Research Center are working
on a
"video super computer" capable of supporting "25 simultaneous D1's in
and about
50 D1's out."  The folks at Sarnoff are, obviously, a very smart bunch
and I
applaud their design goals.  However, when last I talked to them this
machine
was still in the development stage and they could not actually
demonstrate this
capability.  If their machine is now capable of actually doing this I'd
love to
take a look at it.

My comments were based on my real world experience with Silicon Graphics

computers.  We currently have a tricked out Onyx - 8 200 MHz processors,
500
Megabytes of RAM, RM-5 graphics pipelines, a high speed disk array and a
SIRUS
video I/O system - which SGI claims is capable of multiple streams of
simultaneous CCIR-601 ("D-1") I/O.  My experience with this machine is
that
simply getting one stream of real time CCIR-601 video in or out of it
taxes the
machine to its limit.

As for posting "unsubstatiated statements on the forum," prehaps I
should have
qualified my statement as being based on real world, practical machines
that are
capablbe of reliably functioning in a profesional post production
enviornment.
(Substitute the words "actually deliverable" for "curently exists" in
the
paragraph in question).  In any case, I wrote the article as a reaction
to what
I percieved as the incredible sales hype being spewed by manufactures at
the NAB
convention.  I would ask you to look at the entire articel - not just
that one
paragraph - when framing your response.

Dean Winkler
E-mail:  Dean358 at aol.com