Re: Pix monitors on a film set

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Dave Corbitt wrote:

>                       Subject:                              Time:  1:10 PM
>   OFFICE MEMO         Pix monitors on a film set            Date:  6/7/95
>
> Here's a difficult one.  If a Video Monitor is part of the set during a film
> shoot and that monitor is displaying normal 60 field NTSC video and the film
> camera is recording 24 fps there is a very objectionable Shutter Bar recorded
> in the filmed image of the Video monitor.

Hi, Dave:

Back in the "old" days, (you know, way back in the mid-80's) I knew a few
engineers who made a good living providing 655-modified monitor and 3/4"
playback for just such occasions - the monitor sync is to 24fps, and solves
the problem nicely.  I used this when I worked on Family Ties at
Paramount.  Or cancel the bar with the variable shutter technique
using a digitach-equipped camera.  Depends on whether you have control of
the on-camera video stuff, and your budget, I suppose.

--Ralph Edwards