Re: A SCENARIA FOR VIDEO

At 1:57 PM 6/2/95, Basil_Pappas at avid.com wrote:
>                                               A SCENARIA FOR VIDEO
>
>                                                             by
>
>                                                    DEAN WINKLER
>                                             President, Post Perfect NY

First, the bandwidth required to simultaneously play back several
sources of uncompressed, real time component digital video and audio is
too large for any single computer/disk system that currently exists.
Second, the computing power required to execute all of the real time
functions of an on line editing system in software is far beyond the
capabilities of even the fastest existing supercomputer.
And third, pull down menus or similar CRT based controls will never
be ergonomically fast enough. Some type of physical controls
(e.g., switches, shaft encoders, lever arms,  etc.) will continue to be
required.

Sorry to disappoint you, Basil and Dean, but the SGI Challenge
server fulfils at least one of these criteria by having a backplane
bus bandwidth of around 2.2 Gbit/s. This is enough internal bandwidth (assuming you can get it out of the machine) for almost 10
simultaneous D-1 channels. I suspect that this would be more
than enough for the most hairy component edit session.
   The answer to your second problem will undoubtedly be solved
by multiple processor arrays of the "Transputer" variety. Something
along these lines already exists in the Quantel Henry/Hippo package,
which makes a valiant attempt at executing those very functions
you mention in something nearing real-time, right now. The
third criterion is a given, especially to the readers of
this forum, who are used to having color correction controls
which can manipulate 6 different things at once (if you use both
hands). This kind of interface will be a requirement for any
workstation based color corrector, until the direct cranial interface
is designed!
To conclude, I beg to differ on your first two pessimistic points.
This technology clearly already exists in many fragmentary areas.
All that is needed is the vision to produce a whole which is
greater than the sum of the parts.