The Future, better displays

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:25 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         The Future, better displays           Date:  5/19/95

I'm very interested in getting down to real solutions for technical problems
but I'm also concerned about the quantification of what is usually called
esthetics,  stuff like the Physiological response to image quality be it
resolution, color gamut, picture content, etc., and the effects on perception
caused by the Display device, the room decor, and lighting.  I'm like a
convert now to Joe Kane's philosophy related to image displays.  I think we
should be gearing up for line quadrupled large screen projection with an
increased color gamut using the original NTSC display color coordinates rather
than the present horrible "C" phosphors with their limited color space (
relative to the original specs of 1953 NTSC ).  I've seen Joe's road show at
the NYC seminar he gave a few months ago and the amazing projection displays
at Hughes/JVC  and the Faroudja booths at NAB both using Faroudja's line
quadrupler.  I'm convinced we don't need more information in the signal, we
just need to finally present it in a more satisfying way.  Line quadrupling
with the associated circuitry Yves Faroudja has developed does it very well
thank you.  The images really look like film (almost) and scan lines become
invisible so the actual image is not masked behind the elements of its
construction.  Joe will have a consumer version worked out soon for about
$5,000 maybe within a year with the help of Imaging Sciences, Faroudja, and
Toshiba.  I think it will incorporate a modified Toshiba rear screen 16:9
monitor with a 4.5 foot wide screen (not diagonal) with a Faroudja line
doubler, a Stewart or DaLight screen and tuned optical filtration to increase
the display gamut for redder reds.  It was my hope he would also tune the
green to allow Kelly Greens to be displayed but he says that would be
impractical, too much light would be lost and the image would be too dim.
NTSC has never been presented correctly in its entire 42 year lifespan until
very recently.  It's surprising how good it can actually be.  The point of
this long winded discourse is that I think people like us should be
considering using this type of display technology in our Telecine Suites since
that is the way the higher end consumer will be viewing video very soon.  Joe
showed the recent new laserdisc release of the 70mm transfer of Oklahoma on
his system and it was amazing how full of objectionable artifacts it has.  I
have the same laserdisc at home and never saw those artifacts since I have a
somewhat normal home theater set up,  normal interlaced display,  26" monitor
viewed from about 5 feet.  Once I saw them on Joe's system though I could pick
them out at home if I really looked for them.  With his type of system in the
TK suite we would be able to tune our processing devices to minimize these
types of objectionable artifacts much better.  Now I'll just sit back and see
if this entry gets any outspoken feedback.
Dave Corbitt-Man. Tran., NYC