Re: Super 16

Bob Festa writes:

))))))>)))When upgrading a
>Telecine for S-16 don't forget to also change the 16 sprocket wheel on the
>Sep
>Mag Transducer for a S-16 type as well as all the normal rollers.  (((
>
>Huh?  The sepmag is just plain 16mm (or 35mm).  There's no such thing as
>Super-16 mag film!  ;-)
>
>Or was it a joke?

I think both Rob and myself can tell you that super 16 is no joke.
Any roller that comes in contact with expanded aperture 16mm film has
potential to ruin the source negative where the optical track area would
normally be.

Especially be aware of the drive rollers in Lipsner-Smith film cleaners.

God those memories are painful.((((((

But, Bob, the sepmag dubber (usually a stepper-drive Magnatech) never ever
touches picture negative in any way, shape or form...  and conversely the
(sep)mag film never goes through the Rank or the Lipsner Smith.  So (unless
there is some arcane ritual I am totally unaware of) there is no way at all
that the sprocket or rollers or anything else on the sepmag machine (dubber)
need modification.

I do recall 20+ years ago that lazy projectionists would sometimes rewind
workprint on a MagnaTech, and, true, the would scratch it to pieces.  But I
can't imagine anyone putting neg on a dubber for any reason!

Jeff Kreines