Re: Thick Face CRT's

>5.  Phosphor grain is removed by installing an Afterglow Corrector board in
>the Burn Cell Video path before the Festival input.  An uncorrected burn
>Signal cannot possibly correct the textural qualities of the CRT phosphor.
>This concept is so obvious in hindsight that it's amazing no one did this many
>years ago.  I think there are a few after market gadgets now directed towards
>Burn Afterglow Correction. Run / Still differences can be almost eliminated by
>replacing the Burn Cell Power Supply with a fixed level stable Piggyback PSU.

>Bye for now
>Dave Corbitt/Manhattan Transfer

Dave, welcome aboard!

One aftermarket burn correction system incorporating afterglow for the burn
cell is marketed by Dave Walker via Options.  It was designed by Glen (whose
last name I do not remember) who used to work for Action Video.  It looks
promising.

The VTK autoshading burn system also looks promising, although I have not
seen one actually on a machine.  Willie Kurst showed a tape of the tube face
and wfm monitor during the alignment routine.  The tube in this demo has
quite a burn which is evident in the unshaded wfm and tube patch.  He goes
through a thirty second align, and the wfm becomes ruler flat, and the
previously visable burn on the crt patch is gone as well. It is claimed that
it tracks scan tracking and XYZ positioning as well. The system also allows
manual shading to correct film problems. I would really like to see this
working in a machine.

I wondering what sort of fixed level Piggyback PSU can replace the Burn Cell
power supply to almost eliminate Run / Still differences?  Is this something
custom, or something marketed? Run/ Still compensation schemes I've seen in
the past have trimmed the PEC values for Run or Stop.

Ursa (whata cursa?).  I've seen some that are very noisy in negative, and
others that look very nice. Good quality noise reduction, and intelligent
use of it can work wonders. Still, all in all, I like a good, tweaked Mark
IIIC or Turbo II with digital deflection somewhat better.  They are
infinitely more fixable, for one.  In skilled hands, some Ursa Golds I've
seen have looked damn good though! But, one big problem with Golds though is
that all ICs are soldered in, so even if you do have a good idea which chip
on a board is bad, it is pure hell to remove it from a four layer board.  I
met one of the guys who gets to fix the returned Ursa boards in Ware, and
damn if I didn't notice a couple premature gray hairs! ;-)

Craig