Re: DVNR

Craig Loffel sez:

]] "OK. I'm confused. I admit it. Marc, If you have to worry about the DVNR
attacking fine detail such as the bar of a lower case "e", what is it doing
to your picture and the fine detail contained within? It seems to me that the
possibility of losing picture information is more serious than an "artifact"
and less desireable than slight resolution loss."
------------------------------

The answer is simple:  The DVNR artifacts are predictable and controllable, and
it's not a resolution loss per se.  As I said before, it takes some skill to
use, and it's not a simple black box you can set and forget, like a grain
reducer; you have to stay right on top of it and keep an eye on what it's
doing.  (Ed Elliot's more technical explanation elsewhere is exactly right, and
will give you more info on the theory behind the DVNR.)

Used properly, the DVNR will eliminate about 60-70% of most types of positive
and negative dirt in digital film-to-tape transfers.  If you can't handle the
investment in time, money, and skill needed to use it, don't buy one, and leave
the job to the companies that can.

--Marc Wielage
  Complete Post / Hollywood