Re: kruftscmutzdrekk

Among the best things I've found for dust control...

1.  Common Sense - Bill is right that this is often hardest to implement.
Speaking of which...Why do some people insist on designing telecine
facilities with the Ranks in a central machine room with tape machines, lots
of foot traffic, little or no air filtration, and inadequate air conditioning?

2.  Air filtration -  One facility I had the pleasure of working at had
electrostatic air cleaners installed as part of the central system.  It
filtered out particles larger than 1 micron, and worked wonders.  This
facility had less dirt in 3 years than the place mentioned in #1 would get
in one week.

3.  Seperate rooms for the telecines.  The better designed places I've seen
enclose the telecine (or telecines) in a dust free (whatever that is?) room
having positve pressure filtered air.

4.  PTR rollers (or Drypurs)- Seperate ones for 16mm, 35mm, positive and
negative replaced once worn.  Also, the units from Options have less
tendency to skew the film towards and away from the deckplate.  According to
the manufacturer, they don't have the helix wind of their competitor. We are
hopefully changing brands.

5.  Ionized air knife before the gate - This worked quite well at one
facility, but if I had it to do over again, due to some people being shocked
by it, I would probably defeat the knife's high voltage if the door is open
(unless for some twisted reason you consider this entertainment!). :-}

6.  If you want to be somewhat irratating and perhaps somewhat anal, you can
use sticky mats.  Maybe they help.

7.  A good quality vacuumn cleaner in the capable hands of an otherwise
bored tape operator can be worth its weight in gold. ;-)

8. Mink rollers...Just kidding! ;-)

Cleanliness is next to...?

If it becomes necessary to clean the mirror, I like the Jan Yarlbrough (did
I spell that right?) approach.  He trained operators to flow alcohol over
the mirror and blow dry with the air nozzle.  Dave Pizio has a refinement of
this using anhydrosol, followed by acetone to prevent spotting (this works
great on lenses). Also, removing the mirror and washing in mild dish soap
works well, but watch out for flying retainers and springs!

I've often seen people wipe the tube with an antistatic brush whilst the
high voltage is on.  Remembering the static attraction of the hair on my
knuckles when they are near the the tube, it would seem to me that the
tube's  attraction is greater than that of the brush.

Tubes...

I am in favor of LF tubes, and if things settle down soon we hope to test
the newest New Century version (we've been having a "moving" experience
involving juggling machines, so things are a bit hectic presently). I've
seen one Tube Enhancement Platinum LF that looks pretty good, but it's hard
to beat Brimar. Some clients insist on it, if only for the name.

Which reminds me very little of another question...Is anyone still having
trouble with "venetian blind" lines being burned into tubes? If so, how,
why, and what brands?

Craig