DaVinci Wishes

Hi all,

on the Artisan.  Several features have been long overdue, such as real file
manipulation including cut and paste.  Also, to be able to save off a working
version of a list mid-session under a different filename is a wonderful thing
should you want to make alternate versions for a given piece of film or tape.
 I found the graphic representation of the 6-level list useful, though a bit
busy visually.

The added scratchpad memories will get a lot of use from me.  It's not unusual
for a director or DP to want to see a dozen looks for a scene before making up
his mind, and inevitably he wants to return to the one you just blew away!
Twenty-six memories will help.  >Can a name or comment be attached to each?

> Has the list size been expanded beyond 999 events?

> I really need some user programmable panel functions.  Often, in commercial
and especially music video work, I am manipulating color and pan parameters on
the fly, desperate to control both at once.  I am working with a "features"
panel, but the pan/tilt/zoom/wipe panel controls are essentially useless at
present.  They don't update nearly quick enough (I assume the new SGI system
will fix this), and they are often not the controls I need.  I want, for
instance, to assign a scan effect to the D/E wheel, have preset colors in
memories that can be popped into, and have an active grab button, all live on
the panel simultaneously.  I think the panel should have a mfg. preset mode,
and a user assignable mode, which could be saved as a config.

>Persoanlly, I can't see using the VGA monitor for TLC if it means yet another
keystroke.

>I think all of us with "features" panels have asked for a dedicated grab
button.  In the present version, one cannot toggle a grab and adjust chroma
without switching in and out of display mode! (And how many of you out there
have inadvertantly hit Pos/Neg when you thought you were in Display, but were
really in Color, thus trashing away the grade you just spent 10 minutes
building...boo, hiss.  Bad place for that button.

>Client eject button?

I anxiously await news from the Beta test sites to see how this new system
plays in the field.  Finally, a computer that can work as fast as a colorist!

Sam Dlugach
Colorist/Complete Post
dlugach at earthlink.net