No Subject

A "Turbo" was a rebuild of a MKIIIb machine to include zoom and
varispeed, and a Digiscan IV 4:2:2 store.  The original term was from a
company called Unimedia that Rank later bought.  It included a "black box"
add on for varispeed servo that  Rank ended up replacing with a stock
servo on most all machines, largely due to reliability (or lack thereof).
Now Rank rebuilds machines as Turbo IIs and they can actually be very
good.  They are vastly better than the original Turbos.  If someone is
offering a Turbo II in exchange for a MKIIIb and $140K, it might be
okay.  If they want to give an original turbo, or if it is not from Rank,
I would be VERY CAREFUL. All in all, I would suggest buying a new Turbo
II from Rank, or an Ursa Gold.  If you factor in the average mean time
before failure for components into the choice, remember that the older
the machine, the more problems you are likely to encounter. Rebuilds of
machines can work well if components likely to fail are also replaced.
Often in the past Turbo generation, they were not.  I'd go for the Gold
if you justify the expense.  Buyer beware.
Well.... time to go to the used Lucas refrigerator and open
another warm beer. ;-)

Craig

-
Craig Nichols                             __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
craign at primenet.com                      /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
"The grass is always greener on the     /  / \   / / / / /__ / \/  /__   /
other side of the fence, until you see all of the brown spots!"...My Dad.

-