No Subject

--- Forwarded mail from "Bill Topazio" <bt at edny.univid.com>

 Reply to:     RE>PTR (and then some)
From: Craig Nichols

 I spoke with Rod Wayne from San Lab about PTR rollers, and he
 informs me that they have a helical wind to them.  This, he informs
 me enables them to remove the dirt.  This also means, he says, that
 the natural inclination of the film over the roller will be in the
 direction of the helical wind. So, depending upon the orientation
 of the roller, it will either push the film towards the deck plate,
 or away. Ideally, he says, each roller pair should be installed so
 that one roller is pushing towards the plate, and the other one
 pushing outwards.  They should be reinstalled this way after
 washing.
...>

Am I mechaniclaly disinclined, or does this not make sense? If the
rollers are helically wound, then wouldn't the way the film is
pushed depend on the ROTATION (CW vs. CCW) of the roller and NOT
the way it was mounted? Think about it...

 The rollers feeding the gate will in time tend to follow the taper
 of the two entrance rollers, so this introduces another bias. He
 mentioned that he is exploring a way to mark PTRs.  Also, one set
 should be used for 16mm and one for 35mm.  The 16mm film wears a
 groove in the rollers which can cause 35mm not to work as well. I
 guess the moral is buy lots of rollers and make Rod rich. ;-) $$

 Craig
...>

We have been using the Drypurs for years, and my guys actually like
'em better than PTR. They, too, need to be replaced often, but that
last statement about PTRs seems to mitigate that expense. Also,
because the "leachable plasticizers" can be reformed overnight with
pressure-wraps, the long-term geometry problem is a non-issue. We
use the same rollers for 16 and 35, but if a lot of 16 is run, the
middle of the roller becomes dirty, so we then would not use it for
35. But, we also eek out more life for each roller by taking off
the goopy stuff and reversing it.

Speaking of Rod Wayne..... MINK????? :)

Bill Topazio

--- End of forwarded message from "Bill Topazio" <bt at edny.univid.com>