No Subject

I spoke with Rod Wayne from San Lab about PTR rollers, and he informs me
that they have a helical wind to them.  This, he informs me enables them to
remove the dirt.  This also means, he says, that the natural
inclination of the film over the roller will be in the direction of the
helical wind. So, depending upon the orientation of the roller, it will
either push the film towards the deck plate, or away. Ideally, he says, each
roller pair should be installed so that one roller is pushing towards the
plate, and the other one pushing outwards.  They should be reinstalled this
way after washing. The rollers feeding the gate will in time tend to follow
the
taper of the two entrance rollers, so this introduces another bias. He
mentioned that he is exploring a way to mark PTRs.  Also, one set should
be used for 16mm and one for 35mm.  The 16mm film wears a groove in the
rollers which can cause 35mm not to work as well. I've seen several
machines recently having perfectly good mechanical and servo alignments,
that wind and pack perfectly without PTRs. But, the moment that the worn
rollers have been reintroduced, problems followed. It can be confirmed by
shuttling bach and forth and watching for travel on the rollers. People
here have also been somewhat lazy, and are using tape to clean the PTRs
quickly. Our experience shows that this causes a sticky residue to build up,
which causes additional problems.  I guess the moral is buy lots of
rollers and make Rod rich. ;-) $$

Craig

Subj:	Re: Rank Resolution