Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 19:20:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig Nichols <craign at usr1.primenet.com>
To: telecine at alegria.com
Subject: Over the top

Hello again...

    I spent some time today observing 35mm gates on differnt machines, and I
recall now that the gate exit roller has more influence over omega wrap
than over the top.  The critical components for ensuring that there is
minimal side to side travel across the capstan are the entrance and exit
rollers, skid plate, and gate sprocket.  It is imperative that the center
line the rolllers match the gate center line. The gate exit roller and
precision roller alignments are very important to maintain a stable omega
wrap.
    It is very true that high speed shuttle can cause the film to "float"
over the capstan with short wrap.  It is a sound practice to limit shuttle
speed to 70% or so on daVinci.  If there is excessive side to side
movement as well, this only invites trouble.
    I would advise those who are prudently cautious and don't wish to
gamble with client film to use omega for correction, and over the top for
lay down.  However, most all of the colorists I've worked with in the last
few years have always used short wrap without incident. I guess whatever
you feel comfortable doing is correct.

"These machines are Rank by name and Rank by nature". A Rank Ware
employee who shall remain nameless.

-
Craig Nichols                             __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
craign at primenet.com                      /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
"The grass is always greener on the     /  / \   / / / / /__ / \/  /__   /
other side of the fence, until you see all of the brown spots!"...My Dad.

-

Subj:	Re: Camera Filtration,Colored...