No Subject

Rob,

I think one major cause of scratches when using the "over the top" wrap
can be that the gate exit roller height may not be correct.  I talked to
Curtis at RPI a few years back about this, and he mentioned that the film
travel towards or away from the deck plate when you go between play fwd
and play reverse is usually caused by misalignment of this roller.  This
movement coupled with the "lazy roller" you mentioned can scratch film.  I
have paid close attention to this since, and have not experienced any
film scracthes from colorists  using the short wrap.  However, to
be perfectly safe, it could not hurt to be err in direction of over
caution, and use the full wrap for programming.  I have not been
convinced of any good reason to remove these rollers.

On a different track,  I have seen PTR rollers cause weird packs in film
recently.  They can cause the film to wander towards and away from the
deck plate when the rollers become somewhat worn.  It does not take long
for this to happen if you do lots of 16mm.  I have seen the film come off
of the transport, when doing pinning with them in the path!
When cleaning them, ensuring that they go back on to the same place
and same orientation they were originally appears to help. I know they
are fifty bucks a pop! But replacing them often can be worth it!

Craig

-
Craig Nichols                             __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
craign at primenet.com                      /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
"The grass is always greener on the     /  / \   / / / / /__ / \/  /__   /
other side of the fence, until you see all of the brown spots!"...My Dad.

-

On Thu, 16 Mar 1995, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> On Mar 16, 20:49, Donna358 at aol.com wrote:
>
 > Suggestion:  Some people remove the precision roller altogether.  Which is
 > not a problem as long as you don't need the optical pick-ups or the mag
head.

> Why do some people remove the precision roller then, if it doesn't
> present any kind of problem?
>
> --Rob

Subj:	CBS-TV