No Subject

To: telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com

>Hello,
>I originated the "thin based 5296 note."  We have spoken to two Kodak
>people who tell us that this film does not exist. However...here is the story
.  Last month, >at least two facilities in Los Angeles had pin registration
sessions crash because the film >that the client brought had a base so thin
that the system could not handle it and >substantial tweeking was required.
 It is labeled 5296, and compared to a "normal" 5296 >1000ft. reel it is app.
40% smaller.  ie: 1000ft of thin based film looks like 400ft of >normal5296.
 We have not found a client who can tell us where they bought this film. I
>have been asking around about this, and no one else has reported this thin
based film.  It >is possible that some has shown up in New York, but we
cannot verify this.  Any light >you can shed on this situation would be
appreciated.

DN>Donna Chapman, Post Logic Video.

This film may "not exist" ANY MORE, but it certainly did at one time.

I have a Kodak brochure "Eastman Films for the Cinematographer" dated
5/92 which shows it.  It was, at the time, the only high speed (>400
ASA) 35 tungsten film they made.

My recollection is that it was not very good for Bluescreen shooting,
which was the application for which Kodak claimed to have developed it.
If I remember correctly there was a LOT of grain, and the blue layer was
particularly noisy and tended to saturate far too soon.  They pulled
it off the market pretty quickly.  Pretty amusing that they would now
deny it's existence.

It was touted to be a replacement for 5294 ("I can tell the color
temperature of every light on the set") high speed stock.

-Bob Kertesz, Commercial Video Services  "Have Ultimatte, Will Travel"
---
. QMPro 1.53 . If all else fails, lower your standards.

----
*  West Coast Connection - San Diego, CA - PCBoard MultiNode BBS  *
*  SysOp: don.presten at wcoast.cts.com - (619) 449-8333 - 24 hours  *

Subj:	Re: "Nasty Film" N
Date:	95-03-12 12:07:17 EST
From:	telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com