No Subject

Hi Sam!
I know that the file transformation can be a real ho-hummer on the 8:8:8!
I hope it finally finished!
About Ursa shading memory (Gold or otherwise):  At Post Group, the
colorists got around this by using the machine in Super 35 mode for most
everything 35mm.  By setting the tube to reproduce a 12 field chart, so you
see the edges of the 12th field, it is possible to map the maximum tube area.
Then you can pan and zoom to get back to academy.  You can also do a 16:9
NEWS flip with this setup to get a large patch 16:9 at 24fps or 30fps.
The geometry is not perfect, and the corner resolution falls off a
little, but it is vastly better looking than runing a microscopic patch.
A benifit that Metaspeed users can enjoy is the ability to "steal" extra
gate setups (there are 12), to make slighty different run size, gate phase,
etc setups. I hope this helps! I bet you like that Ursa Gold otherwise?

-
Craig Nichols                             __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
craign at primenet.com                      /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

-

On 1 Mar 1995, Sam B. Dlugach wrote:

> Hi Guys...
>
> I'm writing this while waiting for the 8:8:8 to convert yet another file
into
> the "new" format (yawn). The record here is 20 minutes.  I had to check to
>see if the hard disk was still spinning!
>
> We do two 3-perf shows here, one centered for full aperture, and the other
>with active picture centered at Academy (no good action in the soundtrack
area)
> center.  Both are widescreen formats, the former being wider, but we zoom
>both in for 1:33 transfer for TV.  If the Ursa patch has been written for
the
> academy-centered variety, I cannot then transfer film with full aperture
> centering (in 1:33) without running out of shading memory.  A dark band
>appears at the left side of TV.  It is neccessary to re-write the URSA
alignment
>for the alternate positioning and re-autoalign, even though there was plenty
of
>patch there previously, though it does approach the edge of the CRT.  This
is most
> time consuming.
>
> Similarly, we have a slide gate with a lens focal length appropriate for
>Mklll machines, and this too is not usable on the Ursa because of the
shading
>memory  limitation (the whole slide area is visible, but one edge is
un-shaded).  I
>also run into this with rental Super-8mm gates with Mklll lenses.  Has
anyone
> experienced similar difficulties?
>
> My question is this: does the Ursa Gold address this limitation by allowing
> shading of the entire usable tube face?
>
> Renaissance ver. 3.5 ...... still going.....is this downtime?
>

> --Sam Dlugach, Complete Post, Hollywood

Subj:	Film/Video Post Production