Re: 10-bits- DNR's

Hi Mike

> I believe it's an improved version of the Glitch Filter introduced on the
> MNR10. The MNR series (from the 9 to the 10 and now the 11) has always been
> really obtuse in terms of setup, with far too many operator controls. It
> has median and recursive filtering, as well as the glitch filter on the 10,
> and I've yet to really figure out what any of it means. All I know is that
> we set the noise reduction to 5 and the enhancement to 3:1
> (horizontal:vertical) and 15 and generally leave it alone. I've tried the
> glitch filter on the 10 and found it to have no significant effect, but as
> I'm rather frustrated with the myriad of setup parameters on the thing, I
> might not have set it up correctly. The "digital wet gate" parameters were
> added as an answer to the Digital Vision's rather vaunted (as of late)
> ability to conceal film dirt, with the added attraction that the MNR11 is
> supposed to be able to conceal scratches as well (including emulsion
> scratches). I'll let you know how I feel about it when I see it.
>
> Mike

I've just had this unit on a 2 week trial and have been able to do a direct
comparison with our DVNR..........the scratch concealment is VERY material
dependent with the results varying in their effectiveness from
complete removal to replacement with a "digital" scratch.

It also has to be used very carefully as the correction is applied
over the whole frame, i.e if you remove a scratch down the right hand
side of picture it may also take out a door frame on the left hand
side.

The MNR 11 compared very well to the DVNR with its dirt concealment
and noise reduction being at least as good in nearly every test
(these were subjective using pictures rather than technical with
scopes etc).
I got the impression that the DVNR had slightly better motion
handling while the MNR 11 had less digital artifacts,but due to the
myriad of filters and level controls on the MNR it could just be a case
of incorrect settings on my part.

The amount of controls,as you say above,is the biggest drawback.
I found the best results took quite a bit of experiment to get right
and BTS did not seem to fully understand how they worked.
Any questions I raised regarding the use of the controls were just
referred to the manual which explained how each control works,but
not how it interacts with the other controls,although there was a
page of example settings for various types of material.

If you don't need all the colour correction and blanking options that the
DVNR offers then this is well worth thinking about,but the digital
wetgate tag is to my mind not quite true at present.

I'm going to be looking for another NR unit in a few months and if
nothing else surfaces at NAB the MNR 11 will complement the DVNR
quite nicely.

Brian

Internet  : Brian at deepstar.demon.co.uk
Compuserve: 100120,1125