Re: Ursa Gold: can we quantify?

On Dec 11, 16:10, KEVIN SHAW wrote:
} Subject: Re: Ursa Gold: can we quantify?

> Rob>I don't know if the sophomoric backgrounds I generally get would
> benefit.  I understand what you mean; I've had visible quantization
> with some backgrounds.  What size transparencies are you transferring--
> 35mm stills (so aspect ratio is as Super35mm)?
>
> Kevin>> 35mm Slides are the only type for which I have a gate- Is there another
> gate I should know about ?

No, it's just semantics.  Here in LA there is a tendency *not* to
refer to slides as transparencies-- instead to use that word to refer
to those transparencies that are larger than 35mm, and to call slides
"slides"..  In New York City where I used to work in post-production,
transparencies larger than 35mm were referred to as "'chromes" (short
for Kodachromes).

> 35mm slides are much more than Super 35 size. The orintation is at 90 degrees,
> and the image is across 8 sprockets instead of 4. So in film terms I guess we
> are talking more in terms of 65mm or 70mm. I generally have to use the URSA
> GOLD selective contour controls to soften fine horizontal details, to avoid
> (625) line interference

Depending if they're shot horizontal or vertical, and depending how
you mount them and then rotate them, of course.  Good tip about using
the selective contours!

--Rob

--
Rob Lingelbach  KB6CUN | 2660 Hollyridge Dr LA CA 90068 USA   213 464 6266
rob at alegria.com        | "A raca humana e' uma semana no trabalho de deus"