www page improvements, server up

There is now an http server running on alegria.com, experimentally, and you
can get to it at www.alegria.com.  So, to access this server and poke
around (still not much stuff yet) use this URL:

http://www.alegria.com     		  <--this will give you a
					   directory listing.

http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html  <--this will bring you up into
					   the telecine homepage, with
					   links to other stuff.

For anyone who doesn't know what the ... I'm talking about, the World
Wide Web is the newest information service to arrive on the internet,
and is based on hypertext.  It was developed by physicists at CERN in
Geneva.  You can get into the Web in different ways: a browser --like
mosaic or netscape on your own computer, with an direct internet
connection; a shell account (on netcom.com, for example) or
aol.com-type interface that allows telnet (telnet to info.cern.ch for
a web browser, if your host doesn't have its own, usually called
"www").

But once you've tried mosaic or netscape, you'll never go back to the
linemode browser.  Mosaic and netscape allow movies, graphics, and
sound to be mixed in to the hypertext documents.

You navigate the Web by selecting links from one page to the next;
these pages are spread across the entire internet-- the telecine home
page, for example, could reference and link to a document on a host in
Japan about a new telecine from Sony, or perhaps a CIE chromaticity
chart on a machine in Germany.  First you call up the telecine home
page, then you click on the link to the other document, which has its
own links to other documents, etc. etc.

I am looking for other html (that's the hypertext language) documents
to link to our fledgling lattice of information.  For now, you can get
a realtime Los Angeles area traffic report, complete with an updating
map, from a link on the telecine home page.  Might make a difference
if you work in Hollywood and need to know how late you'll be for the 9
AM session.

Well, I had nothing better to do today while I'm on crutches trying to
heal a severely sprained ankle.

Regards
--Rob

--
Rob Lingelbach KB6CUN  |2660 Hollyridge Dr LA CA 90068 213 464 6266 (voice)
rob at xyzoom.alegria.com |"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or