Re: DaVinci/TLC interface Re: TtoT

>Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994
>From: HUE4YOU at aol.com
>
>Checking to see if anyone out there has tried to use TLC as an edit
>control device in tape to tape mode. We have seen the oddest
>behavior when we try to edit utilizing the TLC as a controller of our
>source deck. Although we place the Da Vinci in the SLAVE mode as
>specified, we see that in the actual EDIT mode,(and only in EDIT)
>the frequency of skipped or non executed color corrections is quite
>alarming. The odd thing is that if we simply play the source tape
>via the TLC all corrections latch without a hitch.It is only when we
>actually attempt an edit that the problems arise. We have spoken
>with Florida and they are just as baffled as we are. We swapped out
>time code cards but that has not helped the problem. I am just
>curious if anyone else has seen this type of problem. For now I'll
>just lay down the old fashion way...

We do a fair number of tape to tape jobs and find that when (and only when)
the timecode display in the source window updates smoothly will we get
proper corrections at the right time. Try removing the LTC feed to the
source TC input while the deck is rolling in the slave mode. If you don't
see a change in the display update rate, you probably aren't reading the
LTC (for some reason.)

Since you get good reader results when in normal play, I suspect that the
edit  mode, preroll timecode out of your VTR is shifting. Some transports
phase up for the edit and the raw LTC is read out of phase with reference
frame. daVinci might be troubled by this (chime in here, Andy.) Substitute
a different VTR type or hang a scope (triggered to house reference) on the
LTC to see if this idea is worth folling.

David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net  (CIS 72167,1376)